Pine Lake school (1983)

Object ID: 2002-001-522

Subjects: , ,

The school was established in a log cabin located between Walnut and Pine Lakes in 1828 and actually pre-dates the township, which was organized in 1833 when Governor Cass divided this area from Bloomfield Township to create West Bloomfield Township. By 1885, a new Pine Lake school had been built at the corner of Middlebelt and Long Lake roads where grades one through eight were taught. The 1885 building, abandoned in 1955, is still standing, however. It was used for a while as the meeting place of the Congregation of the Episcopal Church of the Advent and as a Christian Science reading room. The building was sold in 1958 to Mrs. Helen Purdy and renovations have changed it into a modern, two-bedroom residence, although the building was relocated above a new foundation at the intersection of Middlebelt and Square Lake roads.