The charms of other West Bloomfield lakes were also beckoning to vacationers during the last quarter of the nineteenth century. Foremost among them was Pine Lake. The 1872 Atlas of Oakland County, Michigan discloses the presence of a "Pine Lake Cottage" south of West Long Lake Road on a sixty-seven acre parcel in section 14 belonging to O. Taylor. The decade of the 1880s brought to Pine Lake an increase in the number of summer homes and cottages that offered lodging on a seasonal basis.
The grand opening of Interlaken Hotel was under the direction of Frederick W. Hayes. The event was held in late May 1889 and unfortunately took place in a driving rainstorm. Interlaken seems to have been extremely popular for many years. Some even credited it with making Pine Lake "a favorite location for summer cottages." This is borne out by the 1896 county atlas which shows a heavy clustering of private homes and cottages along the southern rim of the lake. Excerpt from Song of the Heron: Reflections on the History of West Bloomfield by Charles Martinez.